Employment Law Compliance Strategies for Employers in the Healthcare Industry - Webinar Series
Topics: CDF News & Events
Join CDF Labor Law LLP's attorneys and industry experts for a week-long complimentary virtual webinar series addressing the most compelling topics facing the healthcare industry today.
Speakers will discuss a series of thought-provoking sessions, spread over five (5) days during the week of October 4-8, 2021 from 10-11 am (Pacific), delivered right to your desk virtually, and for free. Our speakers will provide up-to-the-minute legal, regulatory, and policy developments for healthcare-related businesses with California-based workforces.
CDF's Healthcare Education Week Schedule
- Monday, October 4: Internal Investigations & The Power Dynamics in the Healthcare Setting
Employment relationships in the healthcare industry are notoriously complex. Due to the intense work environment, heightened stressors due to the COVID pandemic, and the racial injustice movement, employers in the healthcare industry have seen an increasing number of claims of discrimination, harassment, microaggression and bullying. During this session, Partner & Chair of CDF’s Internal Investigations Practice, Daphne Bishop will cover investigating the multitude of such allegations that are taking place in today’s healthcare setting. Daphne will take an in-depth dive into the best practices when conducting investigations, including the challenges and solutions relating to remote investigations, the procedural issues that arise in healthcare organizations that must be followed, and much more.
- Tuesday, October 5: Retaining & Protecting Healthcare Personnel in Today's Challenging Environment
Retaining and keeping healthcare personnel safe in today’s stressful and volatile workplace is challenging, at best. CDF has brought together two experts to address the top concerns in these areas and to provide practical advice and guidance for those in charge of managing a workforce in the healthcare setting. This panel will identify innovative strategies for hospitals and other healthcare organizations to assist employees as they navigate the daily pressures associated with working in an intense environment during a global pandemic. Attendees will learn best practices for maintaining a safe working environment, improving retention, reducing stressors, and how COVID-19 and social justice issues have impacted diversity in the workforce and more. Join us to learn how you can help your employees remain productive, safe and engaged given the broad range of issues the healthcare industry is currently facing.
- Wednesday, October 6: What Healthcare Employers Can Expect from the NLRB Under the Biden Administration
During this session, Partner and Chair of CDF’s Traditional Labor Practice, Mark Spring, Partner John Giovannone, and David Fortney, Shareholder with Fortney Scott in Washington DC, will review a variety of issues related to union activity in the healthcare industry. These experienced practitioners will discuss bargaining activity due to COVID-19, the PRO Act of 2021 and its potential effect on the healthcare industry, and how the changes in the make-up of the NLRB are likely to influence labor activity in the industry.
- Thursday, October 7: Combatting the Rise in Wage & Hour and PAGA Litigation in the Healthcare Industry
Healthcare employers are not immune to the outbreak of wage and hour and PAGA claims that are plaguing California businesses. As healthcare is one of the largest and fastest-growing industries in the country, it places a bullseye directly on employers in this sector for these types of costly litigation claims. During this session, CDF Partners Tim Freudenberger (Founding Partner & Chair of CDF’s Class Action Defense Litigation Group), Amy Williams, and Corey Cabral (Chair of CDF’s PAGA Litigation Practice Group), will examine the following and offer practical solutions to defend against and the best practices to avoid these types of claims: rounding practices, issues stemming from payment of shift differentials, misclassification issues resulting in claims for overtime, off-the-clock work, training time pay, the Ferra decision, mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policies, along with meal period and rest break claims.
- Friday, October 8: COVID-19 Related Employment Issues Impacting the Healthcare Industry
The COVID-19 pandemic has upended the healthcare industry and presented a host of legal and practical obstacles to the ability to deliver patient care. During this panel discussion, CDF attorneys, in-house counsel and insurance experts will discuss a variety of topics, including mandatory vaccination policies, protected leaves, the increased number of employees requesting work from home arrangements (and related issues and concerns specific to healthcare employers), Cal-OSHA compliance, along with practical compliance and insurance guidance.
Who Should Attend?
Those responsible for managing any type of business in the healthcare setting, including:
- General Counsel/In-House Counsel
- Compliance Officers
- Human Resources Directors
- Owners and Principals
Types of Healthcare Businesses:
- Ambulatory surgical centers
- Clinical labs
- Dental practices
- Diagnostic imaging centers
- Dialysis centers
- Home health agencies
- Laboratory Services
- Medical device companies
- Medical technology companies
- Optometry centers
- Outpatient clinics
- Physician practices
- Rehabilitation centers
- Senior living facilities
- Urgent care centers
We hope you can join CDF attorneys and our panel of experts for this comprehensive program designed to address the most current employment-related issues facing the healthcare industry today. If you have questions regarding this webinar series, feel free to reach out to your favorite CDF attorney, or Dawn Irizarry the Program Chair, or Dorothy Rausa the firm’s Director of Marketing.
- Registrants can choose to attend all or as many presentations as they would like to during the registration process. IMPORTANT: In order to receive a link to any recorded version of the webinars, attendees must have registered for all five presentations.
- Certificates for attendance will be available for CA MCLE, SHRM & HRCI.
Recent Healthcare-Related Articles Written by CDF Attorneys:
- “How Healthcare Employers Can Avoid the Legal Perils of a Remote Workforce," Health Care Compliance Association, Compliance Today, September 2021
- “Compliance Tips for Healthcare Employers Utilizing AI in the Recruitment Process,” Healthcare Business Today, May 2021
- "The Legal Interplay Between Peer Review and Discipline of Physician-Employee," Healthcare Business Today, October 2021
- "What Healthcare Organizations Can Do to Stay Compliant in the Era of Marijuana Legalization," Health Care Compliance Association, Compliance Today, October Issue
- "The Dos and Don'ts of Internal Investigations for Healthcare Organizations," Health Care Compliance Association, Compliance Today, August 2020